If your friends are planning a trip down to the wonderful Westcountry to see you in your new Cavanna home, then here’s a few pointers to help you plan a fun-filled staycation.
In the Westcountry, we’re surrounded by beautiful beaches, stunning coastal and countryside walks, as well as vibrant towns and cities; there’s no shortage of things to do.
We’ve highlighted some of our favourite places to explore close to our Cavanna developments which will really impress your friends and family!
- Exmouth Beach – a paradise for children and adults with its two miles of golden sand, ideal for a game of cricket or bat and ball. Take a look in the busy rock pools at low tide too and see what you can spot. If you fancy fish and chips we recommend you head to Krispies, the award winning fish and chip shop.
Distance by car from Equinox I & II and Cavanna @ Elm Park – 20 – 25 mins
Distance by car from Oak Mount, Hemyock – 50 mins
- Exeter City Centre – The city of Exeter is easily accessible via public transport from Cavanna @ Elm Park and our Equinox community. There is an abundance of places to eat and drink both within the city centre and on the outskirts. If you enjoy shopping, there are plenty of high-street and independent shops with treasures just waiting to be found. If your guests want to learn more about the history and culture of this wonderful city, take them to a free guided walking tour with Exeter’s Red Coat Guides. You will need to book in advance, so visit their website here to choose your tour, preferred day and time.
- Summerleaze Beach – this stunning beach is only a short walk from the centre of Bude, popular with families and dog walkers. In warmer weather, try the salt-water sea pool or take to the waves and give surfing lessons a go.
Distance by car from Bellevue, Bude – 8-10 mins
- Dunsdon National Nature Reserve – A short car journey from our homes at Bellevue is Dunsdon National Nature Reserve, one of Devon’s best remaining Culm grasslands. There are walking trails and open fields to be explored but be sure to wear wellie boots as it can get wet and boggy. Whilst you’re out walking, keep your eyes peeled for Grey herons. You’ll probably spot the prehistoric birds standing like a statue on the edge of ponds and lakes.
Distance by car from Bellevue, Bude – 13 -15 mins
- Pannier Market – Situated at the heart of Tavistock is the Pannier Market, open Tuesdays through till Saturdays. There are different market themes for each day of the week and a range of quality stalls selling food, antiques, crafts and more, all of which are set up indoors.
Distance on foot from Broadleigh Park – 0.7miles/15 mins
- River Tavy – Take a walk along the River Tavy for scenic views and stop for a bite to eat with your friends as part of a relaxing day. It’s also a popular spot for fishing, kayaking and paddling (during the warmer months).
- Dartmoor National Park – Don’t forget a trip to Dartmoor to take in the 360° views from the top of a tor or enjoy a circular walk and finish off with a pub lunch. Here are a selection of walks (easy, moderate and difficult) for you to take a look at. If you think your guests will love the beauty of Dartmoor, make sure they bring suitable footwear and clothing with them.
Successful catering is all in the planning; preparing meals in advance and shopping before your guests arrive.
If you’re thinking about what to eat, include a meal that you and your friends have always enjoyed together, perhaps it’s something you could even try cooking yourself. Need inspiration? Take a look at Tesco’s 5 easy family dinner ideas for £25, we love the sound of the Chicken satay burgers!
Whilst shopping at a big supermarket is great, especially if you need to pick up some last-minute homeware bits and pieces, you could also visit a local farm shop or Butchers. Greendale Farm Shop and Darts Farm are nearby to our Equinox and Cavanna @ Elm Park developments in Exeter. Both farm shops offer a variety of locally sourced meat, meat-free options, fruit and vegetables and much more.
If you fancy some locally caught seafood, visit Sidmouth Market in the seaside town of Sidmouth in Devon. They always have fresh, local fish and shellfish on offer. Sidmouth is roughly 30 minutes by car from our Exeter neighbourhoods and is perfect for a morning or afternoon out too.
If your friends are travelling a fair distance to visit you, make sure everything is ready and comfortable for them when they arrive.
- order a takeaway on the first night so you can spend time catching up
- have a bottle of bubbly chilled and ready to cheers
- buy new fluffy towels for your guests to enjoy
- leave a lovely shower gel and hand soap in the bathroom
- pop a small chocolate on their pillow for a touch of luxury
- clear some space in a wardrobe for them to hang clothes
So, all there’s left to do is organise a date for your friends to come and visit on their staycation!
More people than ever have been holidaying in the South West this summer and it’s no surprise that many are looking to turn their staycation into a reality by relocating here. If you’re searching for your dream home, visit our development pages today to register your interest in a Cavanna home.